Saturday, June 4, 2011

Let the Adventure Begin!


Gah!  This is my first blog entry, in my first blog!  It’s funny…I never thought of myself as a “blogger,” but I could get used to the idea.  It sounds soooo…cool?  For my friends that know me well, I get very comfortable with my technology and I don’t like change very much.  I’ve had the same cell phone since high school, which was my first cell phone.  Haha, I feel like an old person, stuck in my ways.  I still like to write letters! Who does that anymore?!? (and if you send me your address, you’ll get one from me!)  So yeah, blogging.  This is gonna be fun.  :)

So, I should probably update people on what I’m doing.  I am moving to Fort Collins, Colorado!  The most common questions I get when I tell people that is “Why?” and “Do you have a job?”  Haha, no, I don’t have a job, but I haven’t had a job in Raleigh for the past 5 months anyways, and I figure if I’m unemployed somewhere, it might as well be there!  I waitressed a little the past couple months, and made excellent money, but I feel like I can wait tables just about anywhere, so again, it might as well be in Fort Collins!  It’s so funny, this “after graduation” stage of life is an interesting one.  There were challenges that presented themselves that I wasn’t expecting, like this length of unemployment and the stress it caused.  I struggled with insomnia and boredom, and wasted a lot of time trying to figure out what I wanted to do and arguing about all of it with my Mom.  I hate uncertainty.  So yeah, I was just sick of not knowing what to do next, and with our landlord pressing us for an answer to our lease renewal, I just decided not to renew.  There!  There is my big girl decision to do something different!  And whether or not this is the right “something different”, well, that remains to be seen.  Colorado State University also happens to have a vet school which has been my number 2 pick (second to NC State of course.)  And so this move is 50% recreational, and 50% educational.  I want to go to vet school there, and living there for a while will allow me to determine if I like the city enough to seriously pursue higher education there.  And well, you know, I love rock climbing and outdoor recreation, and visiting Colorado has been a dream of mine for a couple years now. Might as well make it happen!

So yeahh, I left for Colorado today!  I’m still not quite sure I believe it’s happening yet.  This just feels like another vacation out West!  Just like Spring Break 3 months ago out to Utah!
Waking up this morning was the best!  It was like having a sleepover!  Hannah let me sleep in her bed cause I don’t have any furniture anymore, and the floor didn’t exactly look comfortable.  Also, let it be known that 2 people can sleep VERY comfortably in a twin bed.  We woke up at 9am to incoming text messages, and then we laughed all morning, to keep from crying, and stated multiple times how much we’re gonna miss each other.  :(  And then Hannah had this incredible idea for me to make a blog!!  And so begins this journey…

 
Ben and I have been driving since 2:30 this afternoon, and it’s about 10pm now.  We’re staying in Louisville, KY tonight.  Just under an hour to go!  Then waking up super early to drive to St. Louis for me to see the Arch, and onward to Denver, COLORADO!  If we get tired in the 18 hour haul tomorrow, we’ll stop to sleep.  But we’re playing it by ear for now.  I think Ben is getting annoyed with my desire to sing out loud and dance to every song that plays on the radio...bahaha, I think it’s hilarious though.  Virginia was absolutely beautiful to drive through today!  We drove through in the late afternoon, and everything was so green and sunny!  “Electric Green” as Jason Jones would describe it.  
So yeah, over the last couple weeks I’ve been trying to find ways to say goodbye to all my friends and family.  It’s been challenging, and I knew it would be, but I did manage to see most of the people on my list of “personal goodbyes needed.”  And yes, it was an actual list that I wrote down.  Mom and John came into town this morning to take a couple more things home for me, and to say goodbye.  Mom started crying; she’s worried sick about me.  And John said, “I’m gonna miss you little sister.”  Even though I’m 6 years older, he is taller than me now.  Not cool.  :P  Hannah, Dominc and RJ saw off Ben and I, then followed us in their car until we split at the beltline.  It was all Hannah and I could do to smile and wave at each other, with tears in our eyes, and in her case, tears streaming down her face. I haven’t had a complete and total breakdown yet, but it’s coming.  I really love the incredible friends I have in Raleigh, and I’ve got the best memories with all of them.  I already miss everyone terribly.  

This is all really exciting!  New blog!  Colorado!  New opportunities!  I'm still figuring out this blog thing...so improvements to the layout will come!  Until tomorrow, goodnight from on the road in Louisville, Kentucky!  
Total for the day: 555 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment