Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Springs


Colorado Springs is so different from everywhere we’ve been!  It’s much more like a desert than the more green parts of Denver and Golden.  It actually reminds me a lot of Moab, Utah!  We got in yesterday evening and met up with Thomas, Ben’s old roommate, who just moved out here.  Thomas made us some delicious pasta with veggies and meat, and gave us our first beer of the trip!  Farmhouse Provisional Saison Ale.  It’s brewed here in Colorado Springs.  I thought it was pretty good, though I don’t know exactly how to describe it.  I was just happy to have my first beer out in Colorado!  And the combo of a beer and my level of exhaustion made me one sleepy girl.  I rolled out my thermarest, climbed in my sleeping bag, and slept alllll night!  And we finally got to sleep in!  Thomas left early for work, Ben got up earlier than me to go on a bike ride, and I slowly woke up.  It’s so fantastic to get a full night’s sleep.  And getting to shower was also fantastic.  My skin is freaking out at this new climate it has to adjust to, and it’s not an easy transition.  The humidity here is SO LOW and everything is so dry.  I think Thomas said it was 1% humidity yesterday, and I couldn’t find the lotion I brought until this morning!  Ah, salvation!!  Finally, a little bit of relief from this dry air.  It’s also super easy to get dehydrated out here.  Water is just pulled out of you, all the time.  And my allergies are going crazy!!  I think it’s just adjusting to the humidity difference, but it just leaves me sniffly and sneezy all day long!  My lips are chapped all the time too…I didn’t know drier air could do all this to you.  I literally lived in a desert when I was in middle school, but I don’t remember dry air ever creating issues like this.
And breakfast in the morning was my favorite!!  Fruity Dyno-Bites.  It's the knock off fruity pebbles, and sooo tasty! 

No comments:

Post a Comment