2 weeks ago, on Thursday 7/21 I got in a bike accident. I'm very fortunate to have had my friend Meg with me at the time. Meg and I had apparently gone to see "Midnight in Paris" at this cute little indie movie theater that evening. It had been raining (as it does every day in FoCo) but it stopped so we decided to ride our bikes. I vaguely remember the movie-but I know it had Owen Wilson in it. After the movie I wanted to show Meg this new bar that opened, then I was going to ride over to another friend's house. Meg said we both thought the movie was fantastic and that we were on such a high after seeing it. We were riding our bikes through Old Town (downtown Fort Collins) and she said I got my tire stuck in some train tracks and crashed, head first. I really don't remember anything, and the preceding recap of the afternoon is based on what Meg told me and what I was able to figure out from texts I had sent.
Meg said it took me about a minute to kind of "wake up", she flagged down a passing car, and they called 911. I apparently got strapped to a backboard, rode in the ambulance, and spent several hours in the ER getting CAT scans and X-rays. I literally don't remember any of it, and I probably won't ever. My first memories are from about 10 hours after the accident, waking up in a hospital room and Meg having just enough time to tell me I got in a bike accident before falling back asleep.
I suffered a traumatic brain injury as a result of a concussion, a broken left thumb, and several scrapes and bruises...literally from head to toe. I was not wearing a helmet, which was SO STUPID. Those of you who have known me since middle school know this is not the first time I've tried to kill myself on a bicycle. I crashed, head first, when I was 11 and suffered a couple broken bones then as well. And wasn't wearing a helmet then either.
If you all remember anything from this note, please remember to WEAR YOUR HELMET. It's not worth it, and you never plan on getting hurt, so might as well be prepared. And try to set an example for the younger generations as well, please.
July 26th was the first night I was able to stay in my own house, by myself. I stayed that Thursday night in the hospital, and I spent the following 4 nights with Meg. She is such an angel and helped take care of me so much. I slept 18-20 hours a day those first 4 days or so, and Monday I was able to stay awake for 6 hours straight! My previous record had been about 45 minutes. Since the accident Meg has been helping me piece my life back together. I'm still having trouble remembering things, focusing, and making decisions. I have to move really slow, mostly cause my thought processes are slow as well. It's frustrating. I just want to be able to do things I used to do, but I know it's going to take time and things are going to get better. It's especially upsetting for me when I can't remember what I just told someone, or I get told that I'm repeating myself and don't remember doing so. But again, as my brain heals, hopefully that will get better. I have an appointment with the neurologist next week and hopefully they'll be able to provide me with some timelines and realistic goals.
Facebook has been especially helpful as I'm able to look back on old memories and try to remember certain events. I didn't know how I got to Colorado or how long I'd been here, I didn't remember CJ visiting, and I'm still struggling with numbers. I know I'm supposed to be 22, but I don't remember it. And I know it's supposed to be 2011 (after the doctor told me it actually wasn't 2010) but I don't believe that in my gut.
July 26th was also when I had a real appetite for the first time, and actually managed to make it to a potluck dinner with a couple friends. And today I drove a couple blocks to a coffee shop to get some internet! I haven't looked at my bike yet, but I understand it needs some repairs...It'll be a while before I start biking again anyways though.
Miss everyone, and please continue to keep me in your prayers! It does not go unnoticed and I appreciate it more than you know. Love you guys!!
No comments:
Post a Comment