I'm 3 days behind on posting, so here we go!
Day 0-1
 |
| Tear filled flight out of Raleigh |
Initially, the trip was off to a rough start. Since I packed my previous 3 weeks with adventures in California and Alabama, I ended up leaving myself less than 24 hours to pack and say my goodbyes in Raleigh, which was not enough time. When Mom waved me goodbye in the airport, tears running down her face, I knew my strong, excited facade was over. I literally began bawling taking off my shoes in the security line shuffle and didn't stop until Philadelphia. The flight over Raleigh was beautiful though, and thankfully the man beside me didn't say anything about my crying. I really just wanted to be left alone anyways. I knew I was headed into the unknown, totally alone, and was already anticipating missing everyone, and my dog, Casey.
Turns out it was just a weak few moments. Once I boarded my international flight to Amsterdam, I was totally ready. I had just befriended 17 Dutch students in the airport who all eased my concerns in their nearly perfect English (which was totally surprising!) and they were on my flight. Whew. So we all boarded on time, stuffed our bags in every little space we could, and began to settle in for a 7 hour transatlantic flight. After a while of no aircraft movement, we all began to wonder what was going on. An announcement came over the loud speaker stating there was a problem with a radio they were required to carry, and the mechanical crew was working on it. By now though, I had already conducted my general introductions to everyone around me and was in the process of figuring out their life stories. My favorite thing about flying is meeting people. People who challenge your opinions, make you laugh, and share stories of their adventures past and future dreams. Within a few minutes, I knew I liked Sandy and Bob. An older couple from Florida, Sandy and Bob were meeting 4 other couples in Amsterdam to take a cruise north. They were flying out two days early so they could travel around a bit. Very funny individuals, both of them made me laugh instantly! For the next 2 hours on our stationary aircraft we just kept feeding off each others positive energy and just laughed and told stories while we waited to hear of our new takeoff time. Now, 3 hours later, they announce that the aircraft is irreparable and we are to board another one. So we re-entered the terminal, received our food vouchers (since we had not yet been served our airplane supper), and Sandy, Bob, and I set out to find a restaurant that was still open in the airport.
 |
| woohoo! Extra seat=more room! |
I was impressed to find Sandy and Bob wanted me tag along with them, and even saved me a seat in the food court. I found out they were high school sweethearts, married for 45 years, who had literally know each other since they were in kindergarten. After a grand 5 hour delay, we finally took off into the Philadelphia night sky. Sandy and I had managed to nab a row with a seat between us (woohoo, more room!). We exchanged emails, each ordered a glass of wine, and drifted into sleep.
 |
| hello Holland |
 |
| Train ride to Utrecht |
Navigating Amsterdam transportation wasn't as bad as I expected. I bought a ticket and was directed to the proper train platform. I officially boarded a train in Europe! Me and my 2 suitcases! Yay! I had arranged to meet a friend, Liselot (who I was renting the apartment from) at the Burger King in the Utrecht train station. Miraculously, I made it without any problems and literally could have jumped in her arms. I was finally where I was supposed to be! I bought a Starbucks coffee and we made our way to the buses.
 |
| Starbuxx |
Upon boarding, the driver looked at me in a severely disapproving way, and explained to Liselot that coffee isn't allowed on buses.
I could have cried, but thank goodness she explained I was just in from America and the driver allowed me to maintain possession of my lifeline. I was so flustered between managing my suitcases, hurriedly buying a bus ticket from my chastising driver, and hearing dutch for the first time, that I actually did manage to spill some of my coffee along the entire ride...oops.
 |
| Arrival in Utrecht! Waiting for the bus. |
 |
| my apartment building |
|
My apartment is this grand confetti colored building. 15 stories high, and I'm on the 10th. It's one big room with a kitchen, living room, and bedroom. Like a flat or loft I suppose? And I have a private bathroom! Liselot is staying with her boyfriend, Bart, 4 floors above me until she leaves on her summer trip in 2 weeks. My view is of the vet faculty, which is a mere 5 minute walk.
Ah, I made it. Liselot and Bart made me dinner and I immediately felt comfortable and as if I could make a home out of this opportunity. I climbed into bed, and watched the lights over the city out my window before drifting into sleep. Day 1, conquered.
.
Oh my, oh my...got lotsa giggles outta me on that one! I'm sorry about your delays but I absolutely love how the universe provided for you. You are so adorable with your lifeline. Cheers to you and Liselot and your colorful start to an awesome time. Love the writing, love your openness. Please keep it up! Muah n i can't wait to hear some stories in person, over a 'bica' in Portugal ...Doei!
ReplyDeleteBica in Portugal! Can't wait!
Delete