Thursday, June 19, 2014

hup holland hup!

Last night I made it out to the city center to watch The Netherlands play Australia in the World Cup!

I missed their first game against Spain on Friday (cause I was traveling to London!), and they won!  I did happen to catch the first few minutes in the airport before boarding the plane though.  And Saturday night I was in England for their match against Italy (which they sadly lost...)

What an interesting summer of sports!  I am literally getting to watch the World Cup around the world, AND from the world's perspective.  I have to tell you, the people of Holland are insanely impassioned.  They are so proud.  And they want this so bad.  They love their tiny little country so much, and rightfully so.  They have been through a lot over the decades (according to my colleagues) and yet, have remained hopeful.  Losing to Spain in the World Cup final 4 years ago might have broken their hearts, but it didn't break their spirit.  For weeks the stores have had all kinds of orange-themed paraphernalia lining the shelves and store windows.  And I tell you what, orange is not a color that looks good on anyone, but the Dutch wear it loud and wear it proud.  This year they will not settle for 2nd place.  Their heart and soul is totally in it for 1st.  :)

Here are some pictures from the bar last night where we watched the game.  I have NEVER been in a bar so packed.  I literally couldn't move, and when they scored, I was jumping around with everyone else praying I wouldn't fall down and get trampled to death (that is not a joke). 
It was so funny to watch though.  Before the game started the bar was playing music and people were dancing and drinking beer and beginning to pack the place.  When their national anthem started playing everyone yelled it at the top of their lungs, then threw their beers into the air at the end.  I have to say...I was not expecting that, but I figured that would probably be the end of the beer throwing antics.  Who throws perfectly good beer into the air?  Well...the Dutch do.  Haha.  It was definitely not the end of that.  By the time the game was over, my friend Michelle and I were totally soaked.  Sure do wish I hadn't spent so much time on my hair that night...Oh well.  The game was being broadcast on a projection screen, and aside from the 3 goals they scored, the entire place was silent and fixated on the screen.  But those goals.  Holy moly, they sure do celebrate. 

Pre-game Dutch snacks...fries with mayo!


Drenched in beer!  But they won!!!  :)))

Sticky, crunchy, wet hair.  :P

Orange, everywhere!

The bar was a sea of orange!

And since everyone threw their beers in the air, the cups ended up on the floor.  Yuck!

If you say so!  Wait a minute, they say 'ain't??'

Whew, what a crazy game!
It really was an amazing night.  My eyes were burning so badly from having beer splashed in them, my hair was a sticky mess, all of my clothes were wet, I probably ruined my shoes and my purse, but it was totally worth it.  And on my bike ride home last night, everyone else on the bike path was wearing orange and everyone was so excited!  People were shouting everywhere...but since it was in Dutch, I have no idea what they were saying.  Can't wait for the next game on Monday.  :))

 
Video of the win!

1 comment:

  1. Hey babe, I love this post! I’ve been watching the matches and have been especially drawn to the amazing players of the Netherlands team – been really loving and rooting for them. Seriously, what a talented, fierce (and good-looking) team! But I love this post more so because I’ve been majorly wondering about your experience of the World Cup abroad and you gave me exactly what I was craving, hahaha! I remember when you were on your way to London and I was watching their game, and I actually was really bummed you were missing it (even though I was so happy you were feeling well and traveling!)… And now, for you to watch this match, in a bar full of excited and wild Dutchmen...makes me so happy! I can really picture it all, feel it all and I love it.
    Perfect pics. Awesome blog. Wonderful you.

    ReplyDelete